24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Py Hyung E Dan Applications

Hello I am a third Dan instructor in Tang Soo Do, I am planning to do a full break down of Py Hyung E Dan incoperating inspiration from Iain's work  and other Japanese instructors I have leanred from and make my own application video from the Korean version of the form. I would really appreciate any feedback on what I am doing as if this one is successful (makes sense and works) I would like to eventually like to do one for all the forms in my association. As Iain has done for the Japanese forms. A lot of the principles will be identical and similar to what you all already practice but there is so little Korean form applications out there I am trying to find a way to put it all together for a full self defence drill/ model. I will post the video as soon as i've done my first session on it next week.

Anf
Anf's picture

I'll be interested in seeing your applications when you've prepared it all.

Do you mean pyung ahn e dan by the way? What association are you with, is it the WTSDA ?

Iain Abernethy
Iain Abernethy's picture

Tigger TSD wrote:
I will post the video as soon as i've done my first session on it next week.

Awesome! We look forward to it. Could you post the link below when you’ve filmed it? I will then embed it.

All the best,

Iain

Tigger TSD's picture

Yes that is the form, never sure of the correct Korean way of writing it in English form. Yes i'm WTSDA.

Tigger TSD's picture

Here is the video. It is a bit rough and ready but I hope I explain my ideas enough. I would just like to say that without the guidence and help from yourself I would have never thought this way or been able to start this journey. I have taken many of your concepts and adapted them for this Korean form. I hope you don't mind and I am eager to hear what you think.

Here are the cliff notes form Pyung Sam Dan. Again any feedback would be great

Oerjan Nilsen
Oerjan Nilsen's picture

Keep them coming :-)

Marc
Marc's picture

Tigger TSD wrote:
Here are the cliff notes form Pyung Sam Dan. Again any feedback would be great

I like it. Lot's of good ideas in there.

For people looking for bunkai applications of Pinan/Heian Sandan it might be worth noting that Pyung Ahn Sam Dan is basically the same as the karate kata.

Take care,

Marc

Iain Abernethy
Iain Abernethy's picture

Thanks for sharing! I’m happy to see the Korean section get much more active in recent weeks! Brilliant!

All the best,

Iain

johnbrinda
johnbrinda's picture

Great work. I'm hoping to film a section of Eung Yong for Pyung Ahn Yi Dan during class tonight. So I'll post it on this forum. Tang Soo!!

Tigger TSD's picture

Thank you, we are planning to do one of these classes a month, So the next one will be Pyung Sah Dan.

Iain Abernethy
Iain Abernethy's picture

Tigger TSD wrote:

I look forward to it! I shared the video on Facebook yesterday and it has got some good feedback:

All the best,

Iain

Tigger TSD's picture

Thank you so much sir, my Thunder Buddy and I will be attending your class on Saturday, very excited about training with you again. Thank you so much for sharing the post, really appreciate all the positive response

Tigger TSD's picture

Sorry it's a month late but we had snow. But here is the video for application for Py Hyung Sah Dan

Marc
Marc's picture

Tigger TSD wrote:

I very much like the language analogy used to describe not only how the parts of a form can be used in any order but also to compare different martial arts as different languages.

Tigger TSD's picture

Sorry it's been a while but since my seminar looking at the 4 elements of forms I am starting a new approach to the forms. Starting with outr first form Pyung Ahn Cho Dan I hope you enjoy this video. Any feedback would be very useful as I am still exploring a lot of these concepts and they are no way fully realised but more a workshop

Marc
Marc's picture

Thanks for posting that new video. There are many good ideas in there, and you explore a lot of the potential of the techniques in various ways.

Also your group seem like a bunch of really nice folks who have fun working the applications and even when adding resistance still are careful with their partners.

Side note for karateka: The form is the same as the karate kata Pinan Nidan/Heian Shodan.

Thanks and take care,

Marc

Josh Pittman
Josh Pittman's picture

Thanks for posting! I've been puzzling for some time over what to do with the soo do right after the low block. Sometime soon, I will record and share my own explanation for the three high blocks.

Tigger TSD's picture

Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to check it up. WIll hopefully have a new one out next month

Josh Pittman
Josh Pittman's picture

Here's my theory on the high blocks. Again, thanks! I'm very glad to see good analysis of the Korean forms.

Tigger TSD's picture

I love this look at it. Will certainly add this to my drills and applications as I love the simplicity of it. Thank you for sharing

Tigger TSD's picture

Here are the cliff notes from our latest Red Belt Class, where we look at Pyung Ahn E Dan . Didn't get as much footage as last time but I hope you understand what we were trying to do

Marc
Marc's picture

Tigger TSD wrote:

Here are the cliff notes from our latest Red Belt Class, where we look at Pyung Ahn E Dan.

Thanks for posting the video. Well done!

Tigger TSD wrote:

I do understand what you were trying to do very well because most of your applications are almost exactly what I teach for the karate kata Heian NIdan/Pinan Shodan.

Take care,